Job postings for cybersecurity openings have grown 3x as fast as openings for IT jobs overall.
The average salary starts at $88,000+
Cybersecurity professionals report an annual average salary of $116,000 or approximately $55.77 per hour.That’s nearly 3x the national median income for full-time wage and salary workers. (U.S. BLS).
The National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS) is a key resource of cybersecurity information focused on enhancing awareness, expanding the pipeline and evolving the field. https://niccs.us-cert.gov/ From career resources to learning more about job profiles, NICCS is a go-to-guide on becoming a cybersecurity professional. NICCS is managed by the Cybersecurity Education and Awareness Branch (CEA) within the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Office of Cybersecurity and Communications (CS&C).
The nation’s primary source of occupational information, the O*NET database http://www.onetonline.org/, contains information on hundreds of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors. For a summary of tasks, skills, knowledge, abilities, etc. for Information Security Analysts, see http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/15-1122.00
On-Ramp Apprenticeship Program
Don’t have a computer science degree? No problem.
LaunchCode in partnership with the Southeastern New England Defense Industry Alliance (SENEDIA) offers you an on-ramp to a paid apprenticeship as an information security analyst, information assurance technician, network administrator, systems administrator, or IT professional in cyber security at one of our partner companies in Rhode Island.
The Apprenticeship Program:
– places you with an experienced professional from whom you can learn
– pays $15 per hour for the duration of the program
– on average, lasts 84 days (longer or shorter depending on how hard you work)
– places you at companies interested in offering you a full-time, salaried position
– 90% of LaunchCode apprentices get offered full-time employment
– the average starting salary after the apprenticeship period is $50,000
What we look for in LaunchCode applicants:
- A strong understanding of network operations (i.e. how to configure and monitor networks, provide patches and updates)
- Some knowledge of network theory, protocols, and security practices (i.e. physical security controls, vulnerabilities and threats, network hardening techniques)
- Recognition of common threats, vulnerabilities, and malware and strategies to combat them
- Drive and eagerness to learn
- The ability work full-time and desire for your systems administrator apprenticeship to become a full-time job
Where we work:
Geographically, our best opportunities in cyber security are in Rhode Island and Southeastern New England.